It seems like I have had an MP3 player for ever, but in reality that’s not true. Years and years ago I have a very small capacity MP3 player, it was so primitive,it used SD cards as memory. Most nights I used to plug the card into the PC and if I was lucky download an album onto the card. An album was about the limit as the card was only 512.
Next came the iPod but only after son #1 had tried it out first. I went for the big one and got a 20GB that would be well enough. Currently I am struggling with 60GB and will at some stage in the future switch to the 120GB or bigger if they have one. Which raises an interesting side issue, why does the big one come in only two colours, I would love a 120GB RED one.
Somewhere along the journey I switched from Musicmatch to iTunes. Until this past two weeks that had seemed like a great idea, and in reality it still is.
When I got my iPod it was just for music, I hadn’t even thought about Audiobooks, Radio, Podiobooks, Podcasts. I didn’t even conceive of there existence. How things have changed, when I get home from work I start iTunes up and most days about 10 podcasts will download. More than I can ever listen to, but I am hopeless at culling! Last year I said I would never have more than 600 podcasts on the system waiting, then I increased the limit to 1000, currently I have 1200 waiting. Apparently it will take me 24.96 days to listen to the lot and in that time about another 200 will come in, that’s if I don’t subscribe to more!
Looking at the stats on iTunes i have
- Podcasts 24.96 days outstanding
- Music 49.58 days outstanding
- Video/Movie 2 days outstanding
On the positive side of this I very rarely watch TV anymore, thats not hard as there is **** all on these days.
I am stunned by the range and quality of content available to stick onto your iPod. Four of the podcasts I currently have on my iPod are
- 5 Live daily – Daily Football podcast (BBC) http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/fivelive/5lfd/rss.xml
- 65 Below – Podiobook by Basil Sands, really enjoying it. http://www.basilsands.com/
- Crimewave.com – Noir Crime Stories – http://crimewav.com/
- The Archers – BBC Rural soap – http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/archers/index.shtml
That’s only four of the podcasts currently being listened to! As mentioned previously
- 5 Live is a daily football update, sharp and snappy about 20 minutes of news and views.
- 65 Below is an action thriller podiobook based in Alaska, I have really enjoyed it. I will give a brief update / review later in the week.
- Crimewav is a weekly podcast and the stories are crime in nature and often has a noir feel to them. Stories are usually about 30mins which is great timing for me regarding travelling time.
- The Archers, I love my daily rural soap.